Brit Johanna Konta beats Wozniacki in Miami Open final

Britain's Konta thanks Murray for taking spotlight

After her victory, Konta praised the crowd who had supported her during the matches.

"But it's also a great thing we promote tennis there".

Back in October Konta became the first British woman to crack the world's top 10 since 1984, and can now restore a single-figure ranking if she can dispatch Wozniacki. "Obviously it's always talked about Indian Wells/Miami", she said.

"I was very fortunate that throughout the years I've managed to have some very, very good people around me", she said.

"I remember I played very well that match".

Wozniacki has been at this level many times before, the comparative experience level of the two players emphasising just how much of a relative newcomer Konta remains at this level. I played Radwanska in that final and now I am playing Wozniacki in the final here.

The 25-year-old's success in Florida is her third Women's Tennis Association title, but her first Premier Mandatory class victory, the top level of competition of the tour. I did play very well and also until the very end I knew that it was never for certain. "I think even when it was finished I was expecting more points to come". She's there until the very, very last ball. British 10th seed Konta used an aggressive game plan to overcome Danish 12th seed Wozniacki on the Crandon Park hardcourt. "Wherever that gets me that's where it will get me, but hopefully the day I hang up my racquets I will be able to say that I really maximized my full ability and everything inside me".

But instead she suffered a third final defeat of 2017 - following losses to Elina Svitolina in the Dubai Championships and to Karolina Pliskova in the Qatar Open. She ran a marathon for goodness sake.

Konta got off to the dream start with a break of Wozniacki's serve in the first game of the match and then held her own to take a 2-0 lead with an ace.

"I think the belief has been there since I was a little girl", said Konta, who will rise to seventh on Monday.

She clinched the match with a lob that landed just on the line as the despairing Wozniacki chased back. "I was hoping it would be third final lucky this year, but I'll have to go for a fourth".

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top April Kicks Off With Wintry Mix of Snow and Sleet
Apr 02, 2017 - 01:27
The National Weather Service said the storm was expected to continue until early evening in many areas of southern New England. Quiet weather returns by Sunday into Monday before additional chances of rain and snow arrive by the middle of next week.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Najib hangs out with Tamil superstar Rajinikanth in India
Apr 02, 2017 - 01:26
Indian firms have moved to Malaysia in a big way, making it a base to do business with other Asean countries. On the economic side, Modi said both countries "have built a thriving economic partnership".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top 'Thirteen Reasons Why' shows how adults can really mess up teen angst
Apr 02, 2017 - 01:23
On Wednesday, the 24-year-old singer posted a video on Twitter debuting her own rendition of the '80s hit " Only You ". Little did Bryce know, Clay was recording him on tape, the same way Hannah recorded her conversation with Mr.

Southgate: England must 'represent country the right way' after terror attack
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:51
Lukas Podolski, who called time on his Germany career after 13 years and a World Cup medal, admits previous England teams were stuck in the dark ages.

Israel new homes only in current settlements, media reports
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:48
Instead, construction during that period has expanded existing settlements or taken place in unauthorized outposts like Amona. Thursday's announcement comes despite no agreement between the Trump and Netanyahu governments on how to address settlements.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Play Gwent on PS4 this weekend
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:48
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game will be available on Xbox, PS4, and PC, but there is no release date at this time. Gwent: The Witcher Card Game is getting a free technical beta on PlayStation 4 starting Friday, March 31st.

White House Offers New Intel to House & Senate
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:46
The classified information was discovered, Spicer said, "in the ordinary course of business" by the National Security Council. Seats are allocated by the White House Correspondents Association, but any credentialed member of the media can attend.

Tar Heels' Maye headlines list of Final Four X-factors
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:45
OR will once again be considered a clear underdog this Saturday, and staying under the radar could work to the Ducks' advantage. Angels: Sindarius Thornwell has put together an MVP-like performance for SC , leading the Gamecocks to the Final Four.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Travel Ban Legal Battles Continue, As Administration Appeals New Injunction
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:45
He pointed to statements made by Trump and his associates both before and after the president was elected in November. It was later blocked by a judge in Washington state, a ruling that was upheld by the 9th U.S.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Peduto to hear from Uber as driverless cars remain suspended
Mar 31, 2017 - 04:28
In actuality, it was the other vehicle - driven very much by a human - that failed to yield according to Tempe, Arizona Police. By Monday afternoon, Uber reported confidence in letting the test cars return to work in Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Tempe.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Trump declares war on Republican conservatives: 'We must fight them'
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:10
Members of the caucus helped play a key role in the decision not to bring the GOP health care bill to a vote in the House last week.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top OAS head accuses Venezuela's Maduro of 'self-coup'
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:04
As Venezuela tries to raise funds for bond payments and a reeling economy, it has sought to sell stakes in oil fields. On Wednesday, the Supreme Court authorised Maduro to create joint oil ventures without congressional approval.

U.S's Tillerson says discussed Syria stabilization zones with Turkey
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:04
Last week in Washington, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlet Cavusoglu told CBS News that US support for the group crosses a red line. Even before Tillerson landed, Turkish officials this week leaked to the local news media a damaging rumor about the U.S.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Putin ready to meet Trump in Finland if it hosts summit
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:03
Russia's daily oil production in 2014 was 309,000 barrels of oil from the Arkhangelsk region, according to the U.S. He also warned that the escalation of tensions would contradict American interests.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top President Jerry Brown? 'Don't rule it out,' governor quips
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:00
It's been 23 years since the state had a base excise tax on gas, leading to more than $100 billion backlog of infrastructure fix . Brown and the leaders announced the deal Wednesday in Sacramento, setting off a political struggle to pass it in the Legislature.