Brit Johanna Konta beats Wozniacki in Miami Open final

Brit Johanna Konta beats Wozniacki in Miami Open final

After her victory, Konta praised the crowd who had supported her during the matches.

"But it's also a great thing we promote tennis there".

Back in October Konta became the first British woman to crack the world's top 10 since 1984, and can now restore a single-figure ranking if she can dispatch Wozniacki. "Obviously it's always talked about Indian Wells/Miami", she said.

"I was very fortunate that throughout the years I've managed to have some very, very good people around me", she said.

"I remember I played very well that match".

Wozniacki has been at this level many times before, the comparative experience level of the two players emphasising just how much of a relative newcomer Konta remains at this level. I played Radwanska in that final and now I am playing Wozniacki in the final here.

The 25-year-old's success in Florida is her third Women's Tennis Association title, but her first Premier Mandatory class victory, the top level of competition of the tour. I did play very well and also until the very end I knew that it was never for certain. "I think even when it was finished I was expecting more points to come". She's there until the very, very last ball. British 10th seed Konta used an aggressive game plan to overcome Danish 12th seed Wozniacki on the Crandon Park hardcourt. "Wherever that gets me that's where it will get me, but hopefully the day I hang up my racquets I will be able to say that I really maximized my full ability and everything inside me".

But instead she suffered a third final defeat of 2017 - following losses to Elina Svitolina in the Dubai Championships and to Karolina Pliskova in the Qatar Open. She ran a marathon for goodness sake.

Konta got off to the dream start with a break of Wozniacki's serve in the first game of the match and then held her own to take a 2-0 lead with an ace.

"I think the belief has been there since I was a little girl", said Konta, who will rise to seventh on Monday.

She clinched the match with a lob that landed just on the line as the despairing Wozniacki chased back. "I was hoping it would be third final lucky this year, but I'll have to go for a fourth".

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Najib hangs out with Tamil superstar Rajinikanth in India
Apr 02, 2017 - 01:26
Indian firms have moved to Malaysia in a big way, making it a base to do business with other Asean countries. On the economic side, Modi said both countries "have built a thriving economic partnership".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Number of Syrian refugees tops 5 million mark
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:51
He said much of the worldwide community was also failing refugees, increasingly closing borders and turning them away. Do you ever have any question about anything you wish to ask and get answer?

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Twitter has killed the egg default profile picture
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:49
Don't worry, ovate friends; no matter what avatar Twitter tries to smooth things over with, you'll always be eggs to us. As anyone who has been trolled can attest, the most virulent tweets often come from people not using their real names .

Israel new homes only in current settlements, media reports
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:48
Instead, construction during that period has expanded existing settlements or taken place in unauthorized outposts like Amona. Thursday's announcement comes despite no agreement between the Trump and Netanyahu governments on how to address settlements.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Manatee no longer listed as endangered
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:48
Buchanan said he planned to contact Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke to ask him to reconsider and overturn the decision. However there some who are not pleased that the manatee has been taken off the endangered species list.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Play Gwent on PS4 this weekend
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:48
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game will be available on Xbox, PS4, and PC, but there is no release date at this time. Gwent: The Witcher Card Game is getting a free technical beta on PlayStation 4 starting Friday, March 31st.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top 'Bathroom bill' could cost North Carolina more NCAA events
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:47
On Thursday, amid the mounting pressure, North Carolina's Republican-controlled legislature voted to undo HB2, and Democratic Gov. Earlier this week, the NCAA gave N.C. a 48-hour deadline to get rid of HB2 or lose out on NCAA championship events through 2022.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Travel Ban Legal Battles Continue, As Administration Appeals New Injunction
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:45
He pointed to statements made by Trump and his associates both before and after the president was elected in November. It was later blocked by a judge in Washington state, a ruling that was upheld by the 9th U.S.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Peduto to hear from Uber as driverless cars remain suspended
Mar 31, 2017 - 04:28
In actuality, it was the other vehicle - driven very much by a human - that failed to yield according to Tempe, Arizona Police. By Monday afternoon, Uber reported confidence in letting the test cars return to work in Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Tempe.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Trump declares war on Republican conservatives: 'We must fight them'
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:10
Members of the caucus helped play a key role in the decision not to bring the GOP health care bill to a vote in the House last week.

Senators seek visitor logs from White House, Mar-a-Lago
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:06
Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts. The Democrats, citing press reports, said each of Trump's weekend trips to his Florida estate costs about $3 million.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Ford to boost connected-car research in Canada
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:05
Maxim said he expected Ford to produce about 125,000 units of the new engine per year, starting in 2019. CEO Mark Buzzell and the company's president of the Americas Joe Hinrichs were also at the media event.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top OAS head accuses Venezuela's Maduro of 'self-coup'
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:04
As Venezuela tries to raise funds for bond payments and a reeling economy, it has sought to sell stakes in oil fields. On Wednesday, the Supreme Court authorised Maduro to create joint oil ventures without congressional approval.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top American Airlines pilot dies after medical episode before landing
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:02
American Airlines aircraft parked at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington. It's unclear when Grubbs was declared dead, and there was no immediate cause of death.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top President Jerry Brown? 'Don't rule it out,' governor quips
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:00
It's been 23 years since the state had a base excise tax on gas, leading to more than $100 billion backlog of infrastructure fix . Brown and the leaders announced the deal Wednesday in Sacramento, setting off a political struggle to pass it in the Legislature.