Brit Johanna Konta beats Wozniacki in Miami Open final

venus-williams-johanna-konta-miami-open-tennis

After her victory, Konta praised the crowd who had supported her during the matches.

"But it's also a great thing we promote tennis there".

Back in October Konta became the first British woman to crack the world's top 10 since 1984, and can now restore a single-figure ranking if she can dispatch Wozniacki. "Obviously it's always talked about Indian Wells/Miami", she said.

"I was very fortunate that throughout the years I've managed to have some very, very good people around me", she said.

"I remember I played very well that match".

Wozniacki has been at this level many times before, the comparative experience level of the two players emphasising just how much of a relative newcomer Konta remains at this level. I played Radwanska in that final and now I am playing Wozniacki in the final here.

The 25-year-old's success in Florida is her third Women's Tennis Association title, but her first Premier Mandatory class victory, the top level of competition of the tour. I did play very well and also until the very end I knew that it was never for certain. "I think even when it was finished I was expecting more points to come". She's there until the very, very last ball. British 10th seed Konta used an aggressive game plan to overcome Danish 12th seed Wozniacki on the Crandon Park hardcourt. "Wherever that gets me that's where it will get me, but hopefully the day I hang up my racquets I will be able to say that I really maximized my full ability and everything inside me".

But instead she suffered a third final defeat of 2017 - following losses to Elina Svitolina in the Dubai Championships and to Karolina Pliskova in the Qatar Open. She ran a marathon for goodness sake.

Konta got off to the dream start with a break of Wozniacki's serve in the first game of the match and then held her own to take a 2-0 lead with an ace.

"I think the belief has been there since I was a little girl", said Konta, who will rise to seventh on Monday.

She clinched the match with a lob that landed just on the line as the despairing Wozniacki chased back. "I was hoping it would be third final lucky this year, but I'll have to go for a fourth".

Related news:

Hot News

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top April Kicks Off With Wintry Mix of Snow and Sleet
Apr 02, 2017 - 01:27
The National Weather Service said the storm was expected to continue until early evening in many areas of southern New England. Quiet weather returns by Sunday into Monday before additional chances of rain and snow arrive by the middle of next week.

Trump says he expects a health care deal soon
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:58
It is highly unusual for a committee chairman and ranking member not to coordinate meetings related to an investigation. And he still keeps telling us that we're going to see this information but nobody has seen it", said Rep.

Number of Syrian refugees tops 5 million mark
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:51
He said much of the worldwide community was also failing refugees, increasingly closing borders and turning them away. Do you ever have any question about anything you wish to ask and get answer?

Southgate: England must 'represent country the right way' after terror attack
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:51
Lukas Podolski, who called time on his Germany career after 13 years and a World Cup medal, admits previous England teams were stuck in the dark ages.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Manatee no longer listed as endangered
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:48
Buchanan said he planned to contact Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke to ask him to reconsider and overturn the decision. However there some who are not pleased that the manatee has been taken off the endangered species list.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Play Gwent on PS4 this weekend
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:48
Gwent: The Witcher Card Game will be available on Xbox, PS4, and PC, but there is no release date at this time. Gwent: The Witcher Card Game is getting a free technical beta on PlayStation 4 starting Friday, March 31st.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top 'Bathroom bill' could cost North Carolina more NCAA events
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:47
On Thursday, amid the mounting pressure, North Carolina's Republican-controlled legislature voted to undo HB2, and Democratic Gov. Earlier this week, the NCAA gave N.C. a 48-hour deadline to get rid of HB2 or lose out on NCAA championship events through 2022.

White House Offers New Intel to House & Senate
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:46
The classified information was discovered, Spicer said, "in the ordinary course of business" by the National Security Council. Seats are allocated by the White House Correspondents Association, but any credentialed member of the media can attend.

Tar Heels' Maye headlines list of Final Four X-factors
Apr 01, 2017 - 01:45
OR will once again be considered a clear underdog this Saturday, and staying under the radar could work to the Ducks' advantage. Angels: Sindarius Thornwell has put together an MVP-like performance for SC , leading the Gamecocks to the Final Four.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Lippi leads China over SKorea 1-0 in World Cup qualifier
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:08
Also in Group B, Japan avenged their first leg defeat to the UAE with a 2-0 victory to jump to second spot behind Saudi Arabia . U.A.E. remained in fourth place, one point behind Australia for the playoff spot. "And that makes the difference in the team".

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Mexican state prosecutor charged with drug smuggling in US
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:07
Another high-profile Mexican drug-trafficking defendant could be coming to Brooklyn federal court. Here, the Nayarit state attorney general's headquarters is seen in Tepic, Mexico.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Ford to boost connected-car research in Canada
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:05
Maxim said he expected Ford to produce about 125,000 units of the new engine per year, starting in 2019. CEO Mark Buzzell and the company's president of the Americas Joe Hinrichs were also at the media event.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top Need help understanding what Devin Nunes did?
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:04
A Nunes spokesman, Jack Langer, also told the Los Angeles Times that it wasn't a White House staffer, the Times reported. Schiff today said Nunes has yet to inform him what was the info, where he saw it, and who showed it to him.

U.S's Tillerson says discussed Syria stabilization zones with Turkey
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:04
Last week in Washington, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlet Cavusoglu told CBS News that US support for the group crosses a red line. Even before Tillerson landed, Turkish officials this week leaked to the local news media a damaging rumor about the U.S.

isis-killer-beheading-video-story-top American Airlines pilot dies after medical episode before landing
Mar 31, 2017 - 02:02
American Airlines aircraft parked at Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport in Washington. It's unclear when Grubbs was declared dead, and there was no immediate cause of death.